Anne Hathaway Cottage was built by Professor Shay and Mrs. Shay when they retired in 1932. The builders drew the plans from a picture postcard of the original at Stratford-on-Avon. It is said to be an excellent likeness of the left half. The terraced garden to the west of the cottage is the Anne Hathaway Garden, built by Professor Shay. In 1938 the upper lily pool was added, and the wishing well was built by the sophomore class three years later.
Support of the Shakespeare Garden continued through the closure of the college in 1964 and the closure of the Academy in 1968. The demolition of the college/academy was completed in December of 1970 and the site was converted to Hillcrest Heights Housing Project. All that remains is the Shakespeare Garden and Anne Hathaway Cottage, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was privately owned beginning in 1974.
In observance of our state's centennial in 1989, The Shakespeare Garden Society of Wessington Springs, a not-for-profit corporation, was established to purchase, restore, maintain and improve the Shakespeare Garden and Anne Hathaway Cottage. Funds were raised and the Society obtained ownership that year.
Under the guidance of the board of directors, funds obtained from membership dues, donations, grants and various events have continued to finance the restoration, maintenance, and improvement of the Garden and Cottage, along with countless hours of volunteer labor. In the fall of 1995, the appearance of the Cottage was enhanced with the addition of a thatched roof.
The Cottage and Garden are the site of teas, tours, Maypole Dance and even weddings. A program or tour of homes is held annually at Christmas as well. A one-act Shakespeare play or program has been performed in Shakespeare Garden each summer, beginning in 1993. That same year a collection of ornaments donated by members, friends, and alumni was begun for the Cottage Christmas tree
The Shakespeare Garden Endowment Fund, established in 1994, provides financial support for the work of the Society in encouraging public interest, support and appreciation for this site and its cultural and historic significance for years to come.